Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Eurovision 2012 Entrants: Spain

Well, rehearsals are taking place in Baku for the first and second semifinals, and I still haven't made my way through all of the songs. 

So here we go with Spain...


Pastora Soler  "Quédate Conmigo"


I don't particularly find this song compelling, and I can't quite put my finger on it.  It's a power ballad, and this is the only song that fills that place in this year's contest, and for that reason it ought to have legs. 

There is no denying that Ms. Soler is a good singer.  Her singing is technically amazing; she may be the best singer in the contest.   

Yet, I have to wonder if the song was the right choice for her to sing.  In her hands the song sounds rather soulless.  The song is about a woman begging her lover to come back, and there's absolutely none of that emotion in Ms. Soler's interpretation of the song.  And the lack of emotion is off-putting.

It makes me wish she had gone with something more uptempo.


No comments:

Post a Comment