Friday, May 4, 2012

Eurovision 2012 Entrants: San Marino

Do you wanna be more than just a friend?
Do you wanna play cybersex again?
If you wanna come to my house
Then click me with your mouse

OK.  I realize I'm beating a dead horse with my review of the San Marinese entry, because pretty much everybody has had the same reaction the "The Social Network Song" and it's really the easiest song to criticize.  I mean, all you really need to do is read the lyrics at the beginning of the post to understand why.  I do not condone any song that uses the word "cybersex".

And with an introduction like that, you're probably dying to hear the full song:


Valentina Monetta  "The Social Network Song"

Although the song's lyrics are really smutty, I have to say the music is catchy and that's because the music was written by Ralph Siegel, who is Germany's Mr. Eurovision,   Siegel is famous for composing nineteen songs that were performed at Eurovision, most famously this winner:


Nicole  "Ein Bißchen Frieden"  Germany 1982

Yep, Nicole's song about peace is a long, long distance away from hooking up online.

But vulgar lyrics aren't my big issue with the song, there have been some songs with vulgar lyrics before, and I can overlook it.


Serebro  "Song #1"  Russia 2007

It's pretty awful, but I'm willing to forgive this.  And that's because the girls singing it are barely out of their teens.   It is sexist and ageist, but teenaged girls singing songs that are barely covered come ons are more acceptable than a more mature woman--especally a woman who has been tarted up to look like a teenager. 

It's a shame really, because Monetta has a decent voice and is very attractive.  Had she been given a song that would fit with her image, she could have sold the song into the finals, but this song is definately not going there.

No comments:

Post a Comment