Saturday, May 26, 2012

After the Final Impressions

Because my friends will be watching the Eurovision Song Contest after the fact, I've been asked not to post the winner on my blog.

Because of that, I'm not going to say who won or lost, but I will say the winner isn't one I particularly have quibbles about.  It's one of the better shows in recent years, and for that Azerbaijan should be proud.  They spent enough money on it.

However I am going to post up my personal picks for the best and worst song of the contest.  

The thing that surprises me more than anything else is the fact that the song I would have voted for was not the one I expected I would want to vote for.



Kaliopi   "Crno i Belo:  Macedonia


In my mind, Kaliopi had a great song, performed in flawlessly, and had the crowd on her side.  I wasn't crazy about the song at the beginning, butby the time of the final, she won me over.



I wasn't surprised by the song that I rated the worst.



Jedward  "Waterline"  Ireland


Unlike "Lipstick" the song from the previous year, which played off of their "talent", this song wasn't really written specifically for them, and it showed.  Pretty much all they had was their costumes, which the lovely Janet S. has summed up nicely with her appalled declaration "They're tin men!" combined with a stupid fountain that they get soaked in at the end.  

I'm all for gimmicks (the Buranovskiye Babushki charmed me as much as the last person), but really this song was a train wreck. 


And since I'm analyzing, I'm still sad that this song wasn't in the finals. 



Izabo  "Time"  Israel


They didn't give the best performance, but I'm going to go buy their CDs.  Which is what I'm sure Izabo was hoping to get out of their participation.

No comments:

Post a Comment