Monday, May 7, 2012

Eurovision 2012 Entrants: Belgium

Well, I'm trying to make my way through the last of the Eurovision songs for this year before the first semifinals, and then next country on my list is Belgium. 



Iris  "Would You"

I'm usually a fan of retro numbers.  If done right, they're catchy and a breath of fresh air between songs that have a more modern touch. 

But the Belgian entry is a throwback to something that really didn't need a comeback--the 1990 Eurovision ballad.   I think this is best exemplified by Poland's entry in 1994. 




Edyta Górniak  "To nie ja"  Poland  1994


Ms. Górniak was very successful in the 1994 contest, coming in second.  However, to a modern ear, the song is definitely from the 1990s

I think the Belgians were trying for something that would sound timeless, but wound up coming up with a song that sounds immediately dated.  And that's the main reason that the song is not going to go anywhere in this year's contest.

No comments:

Post a Comment