Saturday, April 8, 2017

Eurovision 2017: Sweden

Another year, another Eurovision Song Contest.

First up is the Eurovision powerhouse nation of Sweden

Sweden is the master of modern Eurovision, and this year's entry is another example of why the country has that reputation.  "I Can't Go On" is a piece of pop that sounds like it should be on a Top 40 station with a performance has been polished to a sheen.   Take a look at the video below to see what I mean.


Robin Bengtsson   "I Can't Go On

Everything about the song is meant to have immediate impact, which is going to pull in casual voters when they see it in the final.   There's no doubt that Sweden will make the final.

However, I think this song is one of the worst entries this year.   If you take away the bells and whistles of the staging, the song is really terrible--it comes across as a knockoff of a Maroon 5 or Justin Timberlake song.

In other words I've heard this song before.

This could be forgiven if Bengtsson had personal charisma.   However, watching this performance, Bengtsson comes off as stiff and mechanical.   To make this work, Bengtsson needs to charm my pants off.   Instead, he's coming across as all swagger and no sex appeal.   It's more funny than sexy.

I'm sure this is a top five song.   I just don't have to like it.



No comments:

Post a Comment