Sunday, April 30, 2017

Eurovision 2017: Hungary

I was in New York City when this song was chosen as the Hungarian entry for Eurovision.   I had it playing when I was taking a shower and was confused by what I was hearing.     So when I finished getting ready, I sat down and gave full attention to the performance, figuring that I had missed something that was drowned out by the running water.  I was still confused by what I was hearing.

Quite frankly, I still don't understand the Hungarian entry.



Joci Pápai   "Origo"

I admire the fact that this song is uncompromising.   While a lot of songs in this semifinal feel like mimeographs of songs playing on the radio, "Origo" is a fusion of Romani music and rap.   Because it is so different, it will remain in people's minds and will make it to the final.    

It is not my taste, but not everything is.

No comments:

Post a Comment