Friday, April 14, 2017

Eurovision 2017: Portugal

I am going to type words that I have been dying to type since I started following the Eurovision Song Contest back in the 1990s.

Portugal has sent the best song to Eurovision this year.

Yes, seriously.   Portugal has sent the best song to the Eurovision this year.


Salvador Sobral  "Amar Pelos Dois"

Yeah, it sounds old fashioned

Yeah, he's got a weird stage presence.

Yeah it's in Portuguese.

Yet "Amor Pelos Dois" has done something that no other song has done this year--it made me stop what I was doing and actively listen to the song.   Sobral's performance of a simple love song is extremely effective and is one of honest emotion instead of manufactured spectacle.  

If the team in charge of staging this song is able to recreate the magic in the national final performance, Portugal could have the best placing they have ever had in any Eurovision Song Contest.

Wouldn't that be awesome?

1 comment:

  1. I really like this... he has a nice voice and the song is sweet and like you said, meaningful. But I cannot watch him! His constant twitchy movements are distracting and annoying.

    But I like the song!

    ReplyDelete