Thursday, May 16, 2013

The Results: Second Semifinal 2013

Well, again I got seven out of the ten songs correct in my predictions.

Goodbye Albania, San Marino, and Israel.   Hello Iceland, Armenia, and Romania.

I must admit I found this semifinal much less exciting that the first semifinal.  You would have thought otherwise, since there were fewer obvious songs that were going to the final.  But I suppose since my favorite song wasn't in this semi, I didn't feel the personal connection.

But I did get a couple of surprises.  I wound up loving a song that I hated when I first heard it.


Krista Sigfrieds   "Marry Me"  Finland

Congratulations, Ms. Sigfrieds.  I get the song now.  I'm no longer offended; I'm completely on board.

I'm going to be perfectly honest.  I don't understand how Armenia made it through.  It wasn't a good performance and unlike the Belgian entry that I'm not particularly fond of it didn't even feel modern and fun.  In fact the lead singer went off key a bit at the end.


Dorians   "Lonely Planet"  Armenia

Block voting?  Probably.  Did it keep out better songs.  Hell yes.  But good for Armenia.  You're back in the final even with a lousy song and a lackluster performance.

Would I have preferred to see another song in?  Yes.  I loved Israel's ballad, Valentina Monetta's redemption song from San Marino, or this:


Adrian Lulgjuraj and Bledar Sejko   "Identitet"   Albania

It was so disappointing to see how poorly it looked on stage.  Had it been shot differently, the energy level would have been higher and it could have qualified.   Maybe.

But that's just the nature of Eurovision, songs you love don't make it through while songs that don't rate do.

Tomorrow, the fun begins!  The build up to Saturday's final!


No comments:

Post a Comment