Saturday, May 11, 2013

Eurovision 2013: Sweden

Last but not least, the granddaddy of Eurovision finals, Sweden.

And yet again, Sweden has following musical trends in the United States.   Two years ago they sent the Swedish Justin Bieber and last year they won with a song that was very much influenced by Lady Gaga.   Now we have this.


Robin Stjernberg   "You"


Fun. featuring Janelle Monae   "We Are Young" 

I get why Stjernberg won the contest--that hooky chorus cribbed from Fun. is catchy even when it's been recycled.  It's going to score well.  Sweden may even contend for the win. 

I just don't want to listen to it again; I've heard versions of it enough.

But as always with Swedish entries, I defer to my favorite Swedish lady, Annia W.

"His pants are ugly. He's pitchy. It's Euro-techno-pop and I'm 100% sure Sweden won't win again - which I'm sure they don't want, it's a costly affair. They're lucky they automatically qualify to participate, lol. The dancers are SUPER-cool!"

And to be perfectly honest to Annia, there wasn't much to choose from in this Melodifestivalen finals.   There were a bunch of pop songs sung by young men that all kind of blended together.


 David Lindgren   "Shout it Out"


Yohio  "Heartbreak Hotel"

And then there were the gimmick songs:


Ravillacz   "En riktig jävla schlager"


Sean Banan   "Copacabanana"


Pretty much the Melodifestivalen final was about as compelling as cottage cheese this year.   But at least Caroline af Ugglas came back and tried again.

Caroline af Ugglas   "Hon Har Inte"

She didn't make it out of the "Second Chance" round.  But at least I got to hear a singer I actually like a lot. 


No comments:

Post a Comment