Wednesday, May 15, 2013

My Predictions 2013: Second Semifinal

while I'm up Ship Creek without a paddle.

When looking at the second semifinal, I have to admit that the choice is a lot harder that the first semifinal.

Here are my picks for the ten songs to go to the final:


  • Albania
  • Azerbaijan
  • Finland
  • Georgia
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Israel
  • Malta
  • Norway
  • San Marino


This time there are only two real obvious choices to make it to the final--Azerbaijan and Georgia.  Both countries have "bought" their songs and they're both extremely strong.  Either of them could be contenders to win the final.

Following those two locks are three songs that are pretty much assured to make the final--Finland, Greece, and Norway.   Greece is another perennial qualifier, Finland's song is truly the only really fun pop number in the contest, and Norway's song has been another fan favorite.   I really cannot see any of them not qualifying, barring a major flub up either tonight or tomorrow.

That leaves the big group of songs that have a good shot of making it through.  I chose Albania, Hungary, Israel, Malta, and San Marino.  Any or all of them could be replaced by Armenia, Bulgaria, Iceland, Romania, or Switzerland.   All of them are of the same quality and the performances are really going to make it  or break it.  

Only two songs, the ones from Latvia and Macedonia, are the ones I can't see qualifying.  Latvia's song is not particularly good while Macedonia's...    I don't want to think about that one.  It just makes me sad that the country that provided my favorite song of last year's contest sent one of the worst songs this year.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment