Sunday, May 19, 2013

Eurovision 2013: The Aftermath (part one)

I've had to give myself a day before I posted this up, because I'm rather disappointed by the results of this contest.

I must admit that I've never been much of a fan of the winning number, but I can appreciate it's got catchy chorus and a hummable melody.


Emmelie de Forest  "Only Teardrops"   Denmark


It just seems rather generic.   As my friend Michael W. noted, it "sounded like he had heard it before" but in  a hundred different songs".  It's not a song that is particularly memorable or original.

But as Eurovision tends not to reward originality, this is an example of a perfect winner.   De Forest will become one of those artists that will not make a splash outside of her country again but be back at Eurovision year after year after year.

Could she become her generation's Lys Assia?  Only time will tell.







No comments:

Post a Comment