Monday, May 6, 2013

Eurovision 2013: Italy

Have you ever disliked a song because of the look of the singer?

For me it happened with the Italian entry this year.

 
Marco Mengoni   "L'essenziale"
 
 
"L'essenziale" and Mengoni were selected by a committee attached to the San Remo Song Festival, the song contest that inspired Eurovision.
 
What's different this year is "L'essenziale" is the winning song, picking up 36% of the votes in the final round.   It's a rare event where the Italians will actually send the winning song at San Remo to Eurovision.
 
With that pedigree, I expect the song, a sly comment on the current economic crisis in Italy buried in a romantic ballad, to do pretty well.   And since Mengoni is a seasoned performer, I suspect he's going to take command of the stage.
 
My problem is with Mengoni himself.   I don't have much tolerance for metrosexual males, and Mengoni seems to be primped, preened and tailored within an inch of his life.    It's a gut reaction and one that I will try to get over once I listen to the song without the visuals.   But that's part of what Eurovision is; even if the song is the best song in this year's contest, I wouldn't vote for it, just off of his appearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment