Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Eurovision 2015: Slovenia

Charmingly picturesque.
Last year, during the Eurovision season, I was moving and didn't have time to sit down and record my feelings about the Eurovision final.   If I had, I would have been waxing rhapsodic over this song.


Tinkara Kovač   "Round And Round"

When watching the second semifinal, this song bowled me over.  The song, performance, and staging resonated with me in a way that few Eurovision songs have done before.   This would have been the song I would have voted for, and I went out and bought a couple of Kovač's albums after the contest and I can say "Round and Round" is one of my top 10 Eurovision songs.

So I was looking forward to watching Slovenia's national final, Evrovizijska Melodija.  I wanted to see if "Round and Round" was a fluke, or if Slovenian pop music is actually a secret jewel.

---

EMA 2015 was at the beginning rather disappointing at first blush.   It started out with a lot of Balkan ballads and castoffs from the Swedish national finals.

And then came song six.


Maraaya   "Here For You"

Eurovision pop perfection.

I have had this song on repeat ever since hearing it.

I've memorized the lyrics.  

I whistle the tune at work, and I keep serenading my husband with this song.  (If you think this is bad, just know I live with his Formula 1 obsession.  I think it's fair.)

Yes, readers, we have my favorite song in this contest.

No comments:

Post a Comment