Saturday, March 28, 2015

Eurovision 2015: Poland

Poland has done a u-turn this year with their entry for Eurovision this year.

Traditional Polish Easter Eggs
Instead of the rather edgy folk/hip hop hybrid of last year's entry, Poland has gone with a "traditional" Eurovision style--the emotive ballad.



Monika Kuszyńska   "In The Name Of Love"  

It's an empowering song about love with piano and strings that builds slowly to a powerful ending.   Nothing particularly original and unlikely to set the scoreboard aflame during the final.

Yet, at the same time, I love this song.  Kuszyńska has control of her voice and impeccable diction and combined with the dreamy music--it just works for me.

It reminds me very much of the Azerbaijani entry last year:



Dilara Kazimova   "Start a Fire"   Azerbaijan   2014

Kasimova got the worst result for one of the most successful countries in Eurovision; however, in my personal Eurovision rotation "Start a Fire" is a regular listen.

I fully expect the same result for the Polish entry this year.  Unlike Azerbaijan, Poland doesn't have any natural friendly votes, so it's unlikely to get out of their semifinal.  However, I suspect it will be a song I'll champion for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment