Thursday, March 5, 2015

Eurovision 2015: Finland

Every year a country makes a choice less on the musical ability of the performer and more on the backstory.

This year, Finland's entry is the that entry.


Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät   "Aina mun pitää"

I have mad respect for the four gentlemen in this group.  This band formed back in 2009 and has been releasing singles and albums ever since.   The fact that they have Downs Syndrome and autism makes them much more intriguing and their accomplishments even more sweet.

However, this song isn't likely to get out of the semifinal based on this performance.

Punk isn't a musical style that hasn't really shown up at Eurovision, and although "Aina mun pitää" is going to be the shortest song ever performed onstage at a contest, this song dragged during the national final.   Because of that, I fear it's not memorable enough on its own to connect to the television viewers.

And trust me, there were a lot of songs that had that connected.



Satin Circus   "Crossroads"

This could have been a top 10 finish.  (Although Satin Circus is perhaps the dumbest band name I've heard in a while.)


Opera Skaala   "Heart of Light"

Crazy song but she's an impressive coloratura.

And my personal favorite:


Shava   "Ostrailla"

I love bhangra, so I'm predisposed to it (even though I couldn't find a clip from the UMK final).

That said, I could be completely wrong about Finland's song.  Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät is going to be the story of this Eurovision Song Contest and they could use that press to become a contender...


No comments:

Post a Comment