Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Eurovision 2013: Serbia

I've been heaping a lot of praise on winning songs lately, and I was looking forward to praising the winner of the Serbian national final, Beosong.

I had to call in help to review the winner, because I needed help coming to terms with the winning song, because all I could think is the women look slutty when I think they were going for sexy.


Moje 3   "Ljubav je svuda"
So I called in the help of my go to person on when I need a ruling on sexy--Kamala S.  Kamala is the founder of VivaVoom Brr-lesque, Alaska's premier burlesque troupe, and my go-to gal for all things fabulously feminine.

So take it away, Kamala:

"The devil suit is borderline, but since she doesn't do any serious stripper moves and because it looks like they are doing some sort of angel vs. devil concept, I would say that this is mostly sexy and only about 5% slutty.   Good thing they can sing.  And walk in those heels!"

Now that the question of sexiness has been settled, let's get to the song.  I think it was the most Eurovision friendly of the numbers presented in Beosong, and it was the vote winner in the semi-final.  Seeing it win here is unsurprising.   I just find it doesn't hold up when you compare it to prior years' entrants.  "Ljubav je svuda" is no "Nije Ljubav Stvar" or "Čaroban".

All in all Moje 3 is good enough to make the final, but I can't see this song getting in the top half of the table as is.  It feels amateurish, not professional or fun, and because of that I can't see the song getting high marks outside of the Balkans.

Maybe next year.

----

On the other end, there is a performance that was totally not Eurovision but completely blew me away.



Marija Mihajlović   "Halo"
This is pretty much the antithesis of a Eurovision Song Contest song--a blues tinged ballad only accompanied by a piano and a couple of backing singers. 
It is beyond fabulous.  And came in fourth.
Mihajlović has worked in Serbia as a backing singer, jingle singer, musical theater actress, and voice coach.  "Halo" is one of the songs from her new album, which, if I can find it for sale in the United States, I will be purchasing.
It's the best part of Eurovision, the discovery of new musicians.  (And if any Serbians read this and can recommend a place for me listen to more of her music, please let me know.)

No comments:

Post a Comment