Monday, April 8, 2013

Eurovision 2013: Greece

Even under an economic crisis, Greece is very much a Eurovision powerhouse, and they're still willing to put on a show.

And because of budget constraints, the Greek national broadcaster partnered with the oldest Greek music channel  MAD TV to put on a 2 and a half hour Eurovision extravaganza--where many former Eurovision winners came and performed duets with current Greek singers and bands.

The usual suspects--Dima Bilan, Marija Šerifović, and Alexander Rybak--showed up, but the highlight was this duet.


Vicky Leandros and Elena Paparizou   "Apres Toi" 
 
I always love it when a winner from more than 10 years ago comes back and performs their song, and I enjoyed the two Greek winners of the Eurovision Song Contest (even though Leandros represented Luxembourg) singing on one of the more memorable French language winners of the Eurovision Song Contest.


The winner, however, was a complete contrast to "Apres Toi":


Koza Mostra and Agathonas Iakovidas    "Alcohol is Free"

Greece has decided to send the quirkiest song to Eurovision this year, taking the mantle up from perennial favorite Moldova.

"Alcohol is Free" takes ska and mashes it with Greek folk music into a hybrid that is going to immediately appeal to appeal to all of my friends here in Alaska.   I fully suspect that this song will be in the top three when I have my Eurovision viewing party in May or June.

I also have to confess I'm kind of taken with it as well.  You've got to love an upbeat number that makes some interesting allusions to the current economic crisis that is overtaking Europe and to ancient history.  It reminds me of a song that faded away back a few years ago.


 
InCulto   "East European Funk"   Lithuania   2010
 

The difference is that the Greek song is much more "serious"--the shtick of InCulto sank their chances back in 2010, while I expect "Alcohol is Free" to make the top ten if not make a run for the top.

Way to go Greece!  I'm rooting for you to win the whole thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment