Friday, April 5, 2013

Eurovision 2013: Croatia

Croatia did what a number of other countries that decided to select their song internally for the 2013 contest, and they chose to highlight a local variety of folk music--klapa.

 
Klapa s Moro  "Mižerja"

 
Klapa s Moro is a supergroup, bringing together singers from a number of klapa groups in the company, and "Mižerja" appears to be a good example--with tight harmonies, passionate lyrics, and little musical accompaniment--hallmarks of a classic klapa.
 
I must admit I am mesmerized by the song--I am a sucker for tight harmonies and impeccable musicianship--but this has almost no chance of getting out of the semifinal.
 
I don't think that's a bad thing though.  I believe that the Croatian broadcaster entered this song in 2013 not to win the contest, but to highlight a local style of music and promote it to a worldwide audience.  At that purpose, they've succeeded.  I have been listening to klapa since I've heard this song, and I look forward to seeing it staged in May.

No comments:

Post a Comment