Thursday, April 18, 2013

Eurovision 2013: Georgia

I cannot believe that I'm going to say this.  I really like the Georgian entry.


Nodi Tatishvili & Sophie Gelovani   "Waterfall"

I'll be the first to admit that this is a very calculated choice by the Georgian broadcaster, GPB.   They got the composer of the winning entry from last year, Thomas G:son, and looked at the staging of the winner from two years ago and came up with this song.

Usually I would deride this sort of thing, but the choice of Tatishvili & Gelovani have something that Eurovision duets in previous years tend not to have--chemistry.

If you take a look back a prior years' duets, the singers feel like they're singing in different worlds. 

 
Chanée and N'evergreen   "In A Moment Like This"   Denmark   2010
 
 
Ell and Nikki   "Running Scared"   Azerbaijan   2011
 
 
Greta Salóme & Jónsi   "Never Forget"   Iceland   2012
 
You may feel differently, but I feel that there was no connection between the singers in the three songs I've posted above, while the Georgian entry has that connection.  It looks like the two actually like each other.  For me, that goes a long way to sell the song, since my idea of a good duet is set up by this song.
 
 
Dolly Parton & Kenny Rogers   "Islands in the Stream"
 
Tatishvili and Gelovani are the singers who come closest to that level of chemistry that Parton and Rogers have.  That means I'm flying the flag for the Georgian entry, even though I tend to hate duets in Eurovision.




No comments:

Post a Comment