Monday, April 22, 2013

Eurovision 2013: Cyprus

Cyprus is the most recent country to have been hit by the economic crisis that has been affecting much of the continent, but unlike Portugal or Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cyprus' national broadcaster, CyBC, decided to send an established singer in the region to Malmö.

 
 
Despina Olympiou  "An Me Thimase"
 
 Olympiou is sending a very old school song, lyrically having more in common with the Greek singers who represented other countries back in prior decades:
 
 
 
Nana Mouskouri   "À force de prier"   1963   Luxembourg
 
It's a change of pace that I must confess I enjoy.  Olympiou is seasoned singer and that appeals to me, just like Anouk does.
 
I can foresee the same problem for Olympiou as I see for the Dutch entry.  I can't see countries giving high votes to the Cypriot entry, and this is compounded by the fact that Greece (who would give Olympiou twelve points) votes in the other semi-final.   
 
Because of this, I don't see the voting going Ms. Olympiou's way, even if she gives a performance that knocks it "out of the ballpark", because it's not a rip off of something that is more modern in the contest.   But hopefully with the small number of songs--16 in the semifinal--Olympiou will be able to perform on the night of the final.
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment