Sunday, February 26, 2012

Eurovision 2012 Entrants: Ireland and Austria

Both Austria and Ireland chose the songs they're sending to the Eurovision Song Contest this pas weekend, and considering they sent both sent male duos, I figured I'd put them together in one post for comparison and contrast

Ireland's Eurovision Final too place on RTÉ's The Late Late Show, where five acts were presented.  And for the second year running, Jedward won the chance to represent the Emerald Isle



Jedward  "Waterline"

I have to admit, this song from Jedward was a disappointment.  Last year's Irish song, Lipstick, was not the best song, but it was high energy and entertaining.  This song is a bad retread, and really highlights how mediocre the brothers are as singers, but after watching the other four songs competing, I can understand how they won again.

I just can't see them coming in eighth, like they did in last year's contest, though.

Austria, on the other hand, has taken over the "so tasteless it's good" spot Jedward had last year with their entrant



Trackshittaz  "Woki mit deim popo"


Arguments can be made against the song quite easily.  It's tasteless.   It's sexist.  It's tacky.  And I can agree with those arguments.  However, I have to admit I love it for those reasons--it's so different than anything we've seen so far in the contest.  It's high energy, fun, and quite honestly, hilarious.

Who doesn't like a song that translates into English as "Shake Your Ass". 

I just hope the rest of the countries enjoy the joke as well and it does well in the contest.  Austria's great when it does funny.


No comments:

Post a Comment