Sunday, February 5, 2012

Eurovision 2012 Entrants: France

I will say this without much hesitation, I was looking forward to the French entry.  In recent Eurovision memory, France sends interesting songs, be it the popera of Amaury Vassili, the electronic art pop of Sebastien Tellier, or the stylings of chanteuse Patricia Kaas.

And when France Télévisions announcement that Anggun was their internal selection to represent France in 2012, I was intrigued, since Anggun is not only from Indonesia, a novelty for Eurovision, but has had international success, especially with her song "Snow on the Sahara", which made the US Billboard Charts.



Anggun  "Echoes (You and I)"


But after listening to the song a couple of times, all I can say is I'm left a little bit flat.  She's got a powerful voice, the hard rock guitars introducing the song are great, the thumping dance beat and the whistling are good, and there's a unique key change.  Yet somehow, putting all these things together has just left me flat.

Really, how the song will place is going to be dependant on the performance on the night of the show.  If she is able to put on a complete show in the three minutes of time she has onstage, this will be up towards the top of the board.  Otherwise, it's just another forgettable Eurovision song.  

In other words, I'l looking forward to this performance on the night of the finals.

1 comment:

  1. I would like it better without all that electronica crap. Really, it's not good. Her voice is amazing though.

    ReplyDelete