Saturday, March 16, 2013

Eurovision 2013: San Marino

I must confess that I find the idea of San Marino entering the Eurovision Song Contest to be something confounding.  San Marino, a country with a population of just over 30,000 people is willingly entering a contest that must suck up a lot of the budget of the San Marinese national broadcaster.

I'm certain because of the expense, the artist and song were selected internally:


Valentina Monetta   "Crisalide" 
 
You may recognize her from last year, because she performed the song San Marino presented last year
 
 
Valentina Monetta  "The Social Network Song"
 
Last year, I eviscerated both the song and the singer, but I'm happy that Monetta has been given a chance to sing a song that is more in her wheelhouse. 
 
She has a beautiful voice and this song allows her to showcase her vocal range.  And I like that. 

Yet I'm a bit confused by the structure of the song.  "Crisalide" starts out as a ballad, then in the last minute goes into a big dance number.  It's like two songs have been grafted together that have absolutely no business being grafted together...  I want it to work.  I want San Marino to make the final.  But I just don't see it moving forward to the final with this song. 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment