Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Eurovision 2015: Moldova

Epic Sax Guy rides again?
I always look forward to the Moldovan national final.  More than any country in Europe, Moldova brings a great mix of fun, quirk and raw talent to their Eurovision songs.   Moldovan entries are rarely safe and that makes watching the national final an entertaining watch.

O Melodie Pentru Europa's final took place on February 28th and the finals delivered some wacky entertainment.  Out of the sixteen songs in the final there were a lot of fun and interesting songs that would have gone over well in Vienna.


DoReDoS   "Maricica"


Mihaela Andrei   "About Love"


Sunstroke Project featuring Michael Ra   "Day After Day"

This is what I want to see from Moldova--songs that is fun, quirky, and something that will get my friends talking.   Any of them would have been a fun and worthy choice to send to Vienna.

Strangely, none of them did particularly well.  Instead Moldovans chose the lamest and most derivative song in the contest:


Eduard Romanyuta   "I Want Your Love"

Romanyuta has been trying to go to Eurovision for years, attempting to represent his native country of Ukraine three times.   However crossing the border to Moldova gave him the win and I don't understand why.  The song is drippy and outdated while the staging is horrible.  

I don't understand how this won, but I do know that it's not getting out of the semifinal.

This is the second year where Moldova hasn't chosen a good song to go to Eurovision.  I hope the Moldovan national broadcaster goes back to the drawing board.   I need more Eurovision songs like this:


Pasha Parfeny   "Lăutar"   Moldova   2012

No comments:

Post a Comment