Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Eurovision 2015: Germany




The format for Unser Song für Österreich is one of the most confusing setups that I have seen in Eurovision.

Let's see if I can explain this:
  1. 1213 amateurs submitted songs to the German National Broadcaster.
  2. Ten artists were selected to compete for one "wildcard" spot in the final.
  3. The winner of the wildcard joined seven established artists in the final.
  4. Each of the eight artists performed a song.  Four were eliminated.
  5. The four remaining artists performed another song.   The eight songs were ranked and the top two (from differing artists) continued on.
  6. The final two songs were performed again.  The most popular song and artist wins.
I'm not trying to watch all of those things and choose my favorite, so I'm just going to take a look at the winning song.




Andreas Kümmert   "Heart of Stone"

Interesting, it's the German version of Darius Rucker.  Self assured, different, and perfectly nice.  Not going to challenge but not an embarrassment either.

But wait, there's a surprise!


Kümmert decides he doesn't want to go to Eurovision.

So why did he compete in the first place?   It's really confusing to me.  If you don't want to do Eurovision, don't enter the contest.

So here's the song going to Vienna.


Ann Sophie   "Black Smoke"

I flat out love "Black Smoke".  It's getting heavy rotation in my musical library and I'm going to be purchasing Ann Sophie's first CD when it gets released.   

It's challenging Maraaya and "Here For You" as my favorite Eurovision song this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment