Thursday, April 3, 2014

Eurovision 2014: United Kingdom

I have to say good on the BBC for actually deciding to change up their process for selecting a song to go to Eurovision.



Instead of selecting a previously successful act to represent them--like Blue, Bonnie Tyler, or Englebert Humperdink--the BBC is sending a relatively unknown singer to Copenhagen to represent the hopes of a country hungry for another Eurovision win.


Molly   "Children of the Universe"

I have to say that whomever planned this presentation was smart.  Having Molly present the song live in front of an audience, putting to rest the off key performances of the past few years was smart.  Because of their live presentation, "Children of The Universe" has a buzz that the UK's past few entries haven't had.

I'd be on board with the buzz, but I am not one of those people who loves the song.  Why?  The lyrics are heavy handed and insipid.  Here's a bit of the song:

We're shining like diamonds/
With love in our hearts/
They said it's the end but I've a feeling/ 
It might just be the start/
As I am awakened with fire in my bones/
Standing beside you I've a feeling that I'll never walk alone

The lyrics seem to be pulled from and emo girl's AP English poetry assignment and not from a seasoned singer/songwriter.  I can't listen to this song without focusing on the lousy lyrics.

Will it do well for the UK.  Yes.  They're going to have a better result than they did for the past few years.  Will it win?  Probably not.







No comments:

Post a Comment