Monday, June 18, 2012

Alaska's Choice: 2012 Baku

Unlike most Eurovision fans, the 2012 Contest ended back on May 26th, when Sweden won for the fifth time with the following song:


Loreen  "Euphoria"

It is a worthy winner and although it's not my favorite, it is a worthy winner.  I still consider it a catchy (albeit somewhat generic) song, and the staging was masterfully done.  Instead of the traditional arena camerawork that typified the other songs, "Euphoria" was shot in closeup. 

With the focus on the closeups, the song felt like a throwback to earlier contests and at the same time seemed extremely fresh.  In other words it was distinct an memorable in a way that the other songs were not.

But like I've been doing with all the other years of the song contest, I decided to ask a group of Alaskans what they think.  It's an excuse for me to throw a party, get together with the people that are important in my life, and share one of my favorite things.  As the lovely Janet S. has said to me, Eurovision is my Super Bowl.

So while chowing down on homemade pizza and a Sacher torte, we decided our winner of this year's Eurovision Song Contest.

Instead of the lovely Loreen, the Alaskan group voted for this song:


Pasha Parfeny   "Lăutar"   Moldova


Moldovan entries always do well with my friends, and this year the combination of attractive singer, quirky song, and dancers in adorable outfits hit the sweet spot with most of the viewers at my party.  I don't blame them; I'm a fan of Moldovan songs as well.  But as you know, it didn't hit my sweet spot. 
I was more surprised by the song that came in second with the voting:


Kurt Calleja   "This Is The Night"  Malta

I think the this rated so well with the jury because of the group's dance moves, which I fully expect to see done by a couple of my friends in a burlesque show in the next couple of months. 

Italy, Sweden and Norway finished off our top five,--five choices that were very different than the rest of Europe.

Sadly, my favorite, Macedonia didn't fare well.  After the rest of the voting came through, Kaliopi came in seventh.    (I'm sad about that, but at least she would have gotten four points from our jury, which isn't something to sneeze at.)

The bottom included some surprises:  Spain, Albania, Denmark, Greece, and last and certainly least, Ireland.  (And I'm happy that the jury can recognize dreck when they see it.)

And now, time to look forward to 2013 and Sweden.

Or maybe December and Rotterdam. 

No comments:

Post a Comment