Sunday, April 29, 2012

Eurovision 2012 Entrants: Macedonia

Keeping up my walk through the former Yugoslavia, I'm taking a look at the Macedonia and their song.

Macedonia did the same thing a lot of other countries have done this year, they went with an internal selection and asked Kaliopi to be their representative.

I really don't blame them.  Kaliopi is a successful singer in the Balkans and has been a well known singer in that part of the world--winning awards since the mid 1980s.  Besides, she's been to Eurovision, sort of, before.  She attempted to represent the country back in 1996 with this song:



Kaliopi  "Samo Ti"  1996

It didn't make it past the preselection process that happened, so she didn't get a chance to perform on stage in Oslo.
And now, sixteen years later, she's back with this song:

Kaliopi "Crno i belo" 2012

I really have no opinion on this song, other than the fact that I love Kaliopi's voice, and the hard rock guitar makes the song stand out from the other Balkan ballads I've listened to, but that's about all I can say about it.


Who would have thought that I would be stymied by a Eurovision song?





No comments:

Post a Comment