Friday, October 2, 2015

Countries in Review: Croatia part 2

Ain't Dubrovnik pretty?

I love writing about my favorite songs for any country, because these are songs I want you to take a listen to and my favorite five Croatian songs are definitely ones that you should take a listen to.

Let's get started!


5.   Magazin & Lidija Horvat-Dunjko   “Nostalgija”   1995    

You take one of the biggest bands from Croatia and put them together with an opera singer and you get this song.  It is undeniably weird and I find it absolutely entrancing.   It wasn't accessible enough to win the contest, but it placed a respectable sixth in 1995.  It also grabbed "douze points" from Malta, Spain, and Slovenia.


4.   E.N.I.   “Probudi me”   1997   

Girl power was big in 1997 and E.N.I. was the Croatian response to it.  Yes, this performance isn't the greatest and they are obviously a knockoff of the Spice Girls.  But it's good bubblegum pop and these ladies are able to pull of some dance moves in cantilevered shoes.


3.   Danijela Martinović   "Neka mi ne svane"   1998  

Yep, Martinović was the singer in Magazin.  She came back as a soloist with this dramatic number three years later and landed in fifth place.  She has a clear voice with a beautiful tone that really pulls you into the song.  Just not crazy about the costumes change and the sexy arms...


2.   Nina Badrić   “Nebo”   2012   

I love this song.  I love her performance.  But the staging and camera angles ruined the song and sabotaged the chances for "Nebo" to make the finals.   There was no need for the dancers.   The backup singers needed to be hidden and in a darker color and Badrić needed to not wear a sheet.  Had they kept the shots on Badrić and allowed people to connect with the song, this would have made the finals.


1.  Goran Karan   "Kad zaspu anđeli"  2000  

This is how a Balkan ballad needs to be performed.  Straightforward staging.   Flawless vocals.  Karan is attractive and knows how to work the stage and camera.   Wish they had gotten rid of the girl in a bag.  But it's 2000--everybody had a gimmick.

And there's my top five Croatian entries.

Rumors are circulating that Croatia will return to Eurovision in 2016, and like many people I hope those rumors are true.   The more I watch Eurovision, the more I love the music from the former Yugoslavia.   Having Croatia back means more music from a region I love.

Next up--Cyprus.

No comments:

Post a Comment