Friday, January 27, 2012

Eurovisionaries: Odd Børre

While most people know about the most famous people, like the subject of my last post, ABBA.  The artists I consider "Eurovisionary" are not that well known, like this gentleman.


Yep, you're reading the name correctly, you wacky English speakers.


Mr. Børre represented Norway in the 1968 Eurovision Song Contest with the song "Stress".

 

Odd Børre  "Stress" 

 Who on Earth would think that this guy, who looks and dresses like an accountant going to a smart party, would have represented a country with a weirdly cacophonous song about missing a bus

Odd was a perennial also ran to represent Eurovision at the ESC, only making it in 1968.  A few years after this perromance, he decided to retire from music to become an insurance salesman.  Yes, I'm serious.  An insurance salesman.

For me, Børre's song is gets to the heart of why I love the Song Contest so much.  The obscure artists and the odd songs have made me a follower of the contest, and keep bringing me back year after year.

I think that's pretty "Eurovisionary".

No comments:

Post a Comment